Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Amateur Chef: Netherlands Edition (part 1)

So today I wanted to try something interesting.  Why not cook something for myself for a change?

For context, I have never cooked anything in my life. The closest I got to cooking was probably Cooking Mama. (It was on Wii, if that makes it any better.)


I have always taken pride in my gold medal dishes .

 Beyond the jump is a tale of adventure, clueless-ness and experimentation; fortunately not of fires and explosions. Well, maybe some smoke...perhaps a bit more smoke.



Despite my lack of cooking abilities, I am quite the eater. My motto regarding food has always been "Food is food." I'd practically eat anything and everything.  I really take pleasure in eating. Food was not just a form of sustenance or nutrition. It was an art. I always watched my mom when she prepared food.  She makes it look so easy.  Add a little garlic, some salt, Mrs. Dash, Viola! I felt like I have watched others cook enough so why not try it myself? There's got to be a first time for everything right?


I had a 2-hour break today and my dorm was only a 15-minute walk away from school. Albert Heijn was conveniently located in the middle of my dorm-school route. With time to burn and the supermarket along the way, I thought; why not cook something? I always wanted to try to cook and I decided today was the day.

 For this undertaking, I only set two goals...

1. Make something that is actually edible
2. Not burn something/ cause any (permanent) damage

I am able to eat something + this not happening = Mission ACCOMPLISHED!

Obviously the first thing I had to do was to buy meat. I bravely marched to Albert Heijn, searching for some tasty-looking meat.  Lo and behold, meat was expensive. Really expensive. I couldn't believe my eyes.  What kind of gold do they put in the meat to charge this much?!?1! With price tags ranging from 7 to 15 Euros for not even a kilo of meat, two paltry pieces of porkchop for around 2 Euros did not seem like a bad deal anymore. This was going to be a one-off anyway so might as well.

-_-

When I got to the kitchen at home, I chanced upon my friend who has a lot more cooking experience than me.  He delivered some bad news: The meat I bought was actually "pure" meat, which meant it was not just really expensive, it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more expensive than normal meat. He then proceeded to show me that the meat I bought actually costs around 14 Euros per kilo. In contrast, normal meat was around 2 Euros per kilo.


T_T
  
Well, this is probably a consequence of buying something when you can't read its label. Or it could be the consequence of not knowing how much pork on average costs.  So I am left with some high quality meat that I can't give justice to since I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. Regardless, I still go on. I mean, what choice do I have? Time was ticking and I already opened the pack. I can't cry over freakishly-expensive-meat-bought-by-mistake now can I. Next time I just have to buy smarter. If there is any good news to take from this, however, it's the fact that I don't really have to spend that much to cook.

(to be continued)


P.S. It's getting late now and I am getting sleepy. I am sorry to say that I have to cut it here for today. I promise pics of the actual dishes in the next installment! That's it for now. :)
P.P.S. obligatory "I don't own these photos" note

No comments:

Post a Comment